We wish to bring your attention to the issue of cover under the Medisec Master Policy (underwritten by Allianz p.l.c.) in relation to the provision of ante-natal care under the Mother and Infant Scheme. Please note that cover is in place under your policy for GP involvement in Combined Care Schemes provided that:
- The antenatal and post-natal care provided is under the supervision of an obstetrician attached to a recognised Maternity Hospital.
- The GP does not provide intrapartum care i.e. assistance at the birth. This is specifically excluded under their policy cover.
- The patient opts for a maternity hospital birth, care of which would be under the supervision of an obstetrician as at (1) above.
GPs are not covered under the Medisec Master Policy to sign up to the scheme if a patient is opting for a home birth. If a patient opts for a home birth during the scheme we advise that arrangements are made by your patient for alternative ante natal care immediately. In this regard:
- Refer your patient immediately to the maternity hospital where she would have been assessed initially.
- Telephone the patient and mid-wife, explain the situation and advise them of alternative services available via the maternity hospital.
- Write to the HSE and the patient confirming that you are not in a position to provide services under the scheme due to the patient’s home birth option.
- If the patient is not in agreement with the above and opts not to engage with alternative ante/post-natal care, all risks should be fully advised to the patient.
- Fully document all your actions and advice given and risks outlined to the patient on the patient’s file.