1.Occurrence Professional Indemnity Insurance
All medical practitioners joining Medisec will enjoy absolute peace of mind with occurrence professional indemnity insurance underwritten by MedPro.
With an occurrence policy, your cover doesn’t end when the policy ends. Instead, the limits remain available to pay future claims for claims arising from professional services rendered during the policy period. This means that – unlike a claims-made policy – if you take a career break or retire, there’s no need to buy tail cover.
Medisec members have the additional security of contractual insurance, as opposed to relying on discretionary cover. With discretionary cover, it is up to a Medical Defence Organisation (MDO)’s discretion to indemnify a specific claim, with cover being granted or denied on a case by case basis. Unlike membership with a MDO, insurance provides true certainty of cover, as there is a legally binding contract in place.
Put together, occurrence cover provided through an insurance contract gives Medisec members the strongest protection available.
Above all, Medisec members will benefit from the unsurpassed financial strength and expertise of MedPro. MedPro is a division of Berkshire Hathaway European Insurance DAC (“BHEI”), based in Dublin, authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland and rated AA+ by S&P. The MedPro division is exclusively focused on healthcare, bringing dedicated expertise for clinical risks.
Over 2,000 practitioners already trust us with their professional indemnity because:
- We have a strong culture of excellence in all we do. Our promise to all doctors is that, while you look after your patients, we will look after you.
- We proactively seek membership feedback to inform and develop our business strategy. We do not believe in standing still, and we put our members at the heart of what we do.
- We are highly regarded within the medical community. Independent feedback about Medisec highlights that we show empathy, warmth and support to members at a challenging time in their career.
- The Medisec management team has the assistance of respected external advisors and experts, including a Clinical Advisory Panel, which reviews developments in practice and advises on risk mitigation, education and queries relating to scope of practice. The Board of Medisec comprises medical practitioners and professionals from complementary disciplines such as insurance, finance, law and communications.
- We only instruct leading external healthcare solicitors and counsel who have the best experience, empathy and professionalism to guide and support our Members through medico-legal challenges and litigation.
- Claims arising from medical malpractice
- Liability for Good Samaritan Acts worldwide
- Liability for Religious Pilgrimages
- Liability for treatment to members of Sports Clubs or Sports Association
- Liability arising solely from Partners
- Vicarious Liability arising from your Locum Tenens
- An investigation or disciplinary hearing brought by the insured policyholder’s professional or regulatory body, or employer.
- Breach of confidentiality
- Civil proceedings brought against the insured policyholder under the Equal Status Acts 2000 – 2015 or equivalent legislation for unlawful discrimination
- Coroners’ Inquests
- Medico-Legal work
- Participation in approved clinical trials
- Shared coverage for designated professional employees, such as nurses
- Criminal prosecution
Flexible cover to suit you
Newly qualified GP?
We offer substantial discounts off your professional indemnity insurance in the first three years after your qualification from a training scheme.
Premium reductions are available for GPs who do not work full time, based on the number of sessions worked during the membership year.
Having a baby?
We offer maternity leave policy suspension for up to 52 weeks. Only Good Samaritan cover is provided during this period. You are invited to read carefully the Terms and Conditions as provided to you before purchasing the policy. Coverages and exclusions are indicated for your attention.
- Complaints and Disciplinary Assistance
Our members have peace of mind because we offer a contractual Complaints and Disciplinary service and our in-house legal team will expertly advise members throughout the process. We only work with select external healthcare counsel and the top experts who have the best experience, empathy and professionalism to guide and support our members through medico-legal challenges.
- 24/7 Local expert advice
We are available 24/7 and members have unlimited talk time with our expert team of in-house lawyers and clinical risk advisors on medical, ethical or legal queries that may arise in practice. We respond to 98% of queries on the same day and answer thousands of calls annually. Our work is supported by our Clinical Advisory Panel which reviews developments in practice and advises on risk mitigation, education and queries relating to scope of practice.
- Outstanding Risk and Best Practice Education
Medisec focuses on risk management and educational initiatives to help members meet best practice standards in the interests of patient safety, and to reduce the frequency of claims and complaints.